09 Sep, 2015
13051 Times Read.
General Studies, Geography,
RSS Feed for this Article
– Which is the most prominent desert river of India? – Luni (It is the only major desert river of India)
– Luni River is associated with which state of India? – Rajasthan (It is also the most prominent river of Rajasthan state)
– Which is the originating point of Luni River? – The Aravalli Range (The river emerges from Pushkar Valley of this mountain range near Ajmer)
– What is the ancient Sanskrit name of Luni River? –‘Lavanvari’ (Which means full of salt or ‘lavan’ as Luni stands out for its highly saline water
– Luni River is known by which name at the start of its journey? – Sagarmati River
– Which is the major tributary of Luni River? – Sarsuti (Sarsuti merges into Luni and from this place it gets its popular name of Luni)
– What is the approximate length of Luni River? – Around 500 km
– What is the general flowing direction of Luni River? – From North-East to South-West
– What is an important feature associated with Luni River? – This river instead of merging into the ocean, ends its journey in the marshy region of Rann of Kutchh in Gujarat
– What is the general nature of Luni River? – It is generally a season river and generally flows in the Monsoon season (It is also comparatively a much shallow river)
– Which is the only major river to flow through Haryana? – Ghaggar River
– What is the originating point of Ghaggar River? – Shivalik Hills (Himachal Pradesh)
– Which is the other river with which the Ghaggar River forms a joint river-system? – Hakra River
– What is the salient feature of Ghaggar-Hakra river system? – The river of this system is known as Ghaggar before Ottu Barrage (in Haryana) and afterwards is known as Hakra
– Which ancient Vedic river has been identified with the Ghaggar-Hakra river system by numerous historians? – Saraswati (Historians such as Max Muller and M.A. Stein had accepted the fact that the Vedic Saraswati River and today’s Ghaggar-Hakra river system were the same)
– Ghaggar River dries up in which region of Rajasthan? – Thar Desert
– Which is the only major river passing through Rajasthan which is perennial in nature? – Chambal River
– What is the originating point of Chambal River? – Singar Chouri Peak in Vindhya Range near Indore (Madhya Pradesh)
– Chambal River is the tributary of which major river? – Yamuna
– Chambal River flows through how many states? – Three (Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh)
– Which are the major dams situated on Chambal River? – Gandhi Sagar Dam (on the border of Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan) and Rana Pratap Sagar Dam (in Chittorgarh district of Rajasthan)
– Which major city is situated on Chambal River? – Kota (Rajasthan)
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.