26 May, 2015
15461 Times Read.
General Studies, Geography,
RSS Feed for this Article
– Which is the southern-most among the important rivers of the Indian peninsular river system? – Kaveri (also called Cauvery)
– What is the originating point of Kaveri River? – Talakaveri, in Kodagu (Karnataka)
– Kaveri River passes through how many states before it flows into the Bay of Bengal? – Two (Karnataka and Tamil Nadu)
– What is the distinct feature of Kaveri River, which slightly differentiates it from other East flowing rivers of the Indian peninsular river system? – Kaveri is more dependent on rains than other rivers of the Indian peninsular river system (Kaveri receives rain water almost all through the year, mainly due to occurrence of reverse Monsoon in Tamil Nadu, in which monsoon brings significant amount of rains even during its retreat from the Indian subcontinent)
– Which famous dam is built over Kaveri River near Mysore in Karnataka? – Krishnaraj Sagar Dam
– Which famous waterfall on Kaveri River is situated in Karnataka, which was the site of first hydroelectric project in India? – Shivanasamudra or Shivasamudra Falls (A hydroelectric project was commissioned here in 1902, which was at that time was the second hydroelectric project of Asia)
– The sharing of waters of Kaveri River has been the source of a serious conflict between which two Indian states for long? – Karnataka and Tamil Nadu (Both these states contend that do not receive ample amount of water of this river. The root cause of this dispute lies in two river water sharing agreements signed between the erstwhile Princely States of Mysore and Madras Presidency, signed in 1892 and 1924)
– Which dam is constructed at the place where Kaveri River enters the plains? – Mettur Dam, which is constructed near Salem in Tamil Nadu (Sharing of water coming from this dam has also been a point of dispute between Tamil Nadu and Karnataka)
– Which river is often revered as the “Ganges of the South India”? – Kaveri River
– From where Mahanadi River, another important river of the Indian peninsular river system, originates? – From Dhamtari district in Chhattisgarh’s Bastar region
– Mahanadi River flows through how many states before it merges into the Bay of Bengal? – Two (Chhattisgarh and Odisha)
– Which important cities of Odisha are situated on the banks of Mahanadi River? – Cuttack and Sambalpur
– Which huge dam is constructed on the Mahanadi River in Odisha? – Hirakud Dam (It is the longest dam in India and is the longest man-made earthen dam in the world)
– Which are the major tributaries of Mahanadi River? – Seonath, Hasdeo, Jonk and Mand
– Which is the longest river of the state of Odisha? – Mahanadi (Brahmani is the second longest river of Odisha)
– Which Eastern flowing river belonging to peninsular river system of India was known as a source of gold at its origin? – Subarnarekha River (Many years ago gold was mined at the origin of this river near Ranchi in Jharkhand. The river originates from Piska village near Ranchi)
The Swedish newspaper was recently asked it to delete the reference made by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Bofors scam in an interview to it, as a claim protested by the Indian Government on 27 May 2015. India has expressed disappointment over the disrespect shown to the President, the newspaper has defended its right to publish what was said during the interview.
Know, who is Vijay Kelkar and what is PPP !
Vijay Kelkar is a renowned economist and a former Finance Secretary. He was appointed head of newly constituted committee to give recommendations to recast the model of Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model in India. India is one of the largest PPP market with over 900 projects. The Kelkar committee will review the PPP policy, suggest a better risk-sharing mechanism between private developers and the government after analysing such projects.
Know, who is Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar !
Yaduveer Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar was crowned as the new Maharaja of of Mysuru (Mysore) royal family. He is the 23-year old grandson of Princess Gayathri Devi, who was the eldest daughter of the last Maharaja of Mysore, Sri Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar. The coronation was held at Mysuru’s famous Amba Vilas Palace, which was decked up for the occasion.
Know about Sepp Blatter!
Swpp Blatter, was re-elected as FIFA president for a fifth term at the 65th Annual Congress of FIFA held at Zurich for four year term.
Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan stood against Blatter in this election. It is worth mentioning that FIFA is going through a major controversy regarding corruption in the organisation with two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected FIFA executive committee member still in custody.